MVSA Girls Lacrosse
MVSA Spring Lacrosse 2015
Because a sufficient number of girls has not expressed interest in playing for MVSA during the Metro Girls Lacrosse League 2015 season, we have reluctantly had to inform the MGLL commissioner we will not be fielding a team(s). However, because the primary purpose of the MVSA program is to teach basic skills and strategies, our intent is to conduct clinics / practices during the days and times which in the past have been for practice.
- The program is open to all 4th thru 9th grade Montgomery County residents, not just Montgomery Village residents despite the Montgomery Village Sports Association name. We have included 9th graders in 2015 because the MGLL stipulation that high school girls are not eligible will not apply due to MVSA's dissociation from MGLL this year.
- The basic premise of the program is to teach basic skills to inexperienced players and to enhance skills and game knowledget of experienced players.
- Practices are held on Patsy Huson Field, 20300 Fulks Farm Road, Montgomery Village, Tuesdays at 5:30 and Saturdays at 4:30 for ninety minutes each.
- Becuase MVSA will not participate in MGLL in 2015, we will not begin clinics / practices until the Patsy Huson field is neither snow covered nor extremely muddy. We will post the clinic / practice start date once it becomes warmer and the field becomes playable.
- Stan Kryjak is US Lacrosse certified. He has over 10 years coaching with MVSA youth program, club teams, and at Quince Orchard high school. His daughter currently plays for an NCAA division 2 college.
- Bob Schaefer is US Lacrosse certified. He has over 12 years coaching MVSA youth program, and Gaithersburg high school winter team. He also has coached Good Counsel boys fall and winter teams. His son is a former NCAA division 1 college player.
- Coaches Stan and Bob are the current assistant coaches of the Gaithersburg High School JV team.
- MVSA is attempting to engage current high school players to assist with coaching.
- There will be no MVSA fee but participants must become US Lacrosse members($25). The link to US Lacrosse membership is found on the lacrosse registration page (see above).
- US Lacrosse provides insurance to members at a much lower premium than you will find elsewhere. This is why MVSA required membership.
- US Lacrosse membership is a requirement for most summer clinics and tournaments. Membership is for a calendar year so your player will be covered not only for the spring season but also for summer, autumn, and winter programs should she choose to participate.
- GIRLS STICK (Women's sticks differ from men's. Ensure stick you purchase is labeled for girls)
- Eye protection (wire mesh or solid lens goggles)
- Mouth guard
- Girls are not required to wear helments (except goalies) or men's gloves
- Girls gloves are similar to golf or batting gloves but with padding on the back of the fingers. These provide minimal protection and, in the opinion of the coaches are not worth the cost. They are not recommended but are not discouraged.
- Girls may wear soft helmets but these are not recommended by MVSA. They do not provide concussion protection although concussion is very unlikely at the youth level.
- Men's sticks, pads, helmets, gloves, etc. are illegal for girls lacrosse. Girls may not use hand me downs from brothers, cousins, neighbors, etc.
- Coaches Stan and Bob have a limited number of sticks which we will loan to registered players. A $50 deposit is required. We will hold your check until the completion of the clinic season. If you return the stick we will return your check. If not, we will cash your check.
- Coach Bob Schaefer - email@example.com or 301-518-9187
MVSA Alumnae News
MVSA is very proud of its record of sending players to many Montgomery County public and private high school lacrosse programs, Many of these players go on to play college lax at all three NCAA division levels. Because we are just beginning the 2015 season, MVSA does not yet have input from former players regarding their spring activities. This area will be updated with information regartding who is playing what (hopefully lax) and where as it becomes available.
We have attempted to determine what the MVSA Alumnae are doing. While the list may be incomplete, we will update as additional information is received.
Shannen de Leon
Gaithersburg JV Lax
Watkins Mill Varsity
Lilly Jean Schlosser
Watkins Mill JV
Good Counsel varsity
Rose Prizzi (Brine HS All American)
Robert Morris University
Alexis Rusnak (Watkins Mill '14)
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Tara Nicholas (Northwest '12)
Florida Southern College
Allie Kryjak ((Quince Orchard '12)
James Madison University
Angel Magno (Gaithersburg '12)
Gaithersburg High JV Coach
Julia Navarro (Gaithersburg '10)
The past and the future (Spring 2014)
This photograph was taken following the Watkins Mill / Gaithersburg high school game on March 22. Pictured are former Wolverine and Trojan players who began their lacrosse with MVSA and some members of the current MVSA team.
Lainey Selby, Erica Hubert, Cari McCloskey, Alicia Dowdy, Lilly Schlosser, Sophie Robinson, Jillian Gardner, Alex Carter, Charlotte Kimball
Alexis Rusnak, Stephanie Houk, Helen Marsh, Bethany Scott, Kylee Sklar, Madison Fragnito, Sara-Jane Campbell, Haley Wess, Rachael Thompson, Lilianna Ferrrufino, Megan Remini...
Bella Sheldon, Arianna Tello, Natalie Fragnito, Fiona Franke, Erica Guthrie, Brigit Shields, Ali Rosenberg