MVSA Girls Lacrosse
October 3 Clinic Session
The rain has stopped (there is drizzle) and the field is not muddy so THE OCT. 3 MVSA LAX CLINIC WILL BE CONDUCTED AS SCHEDULED FROM 4:30 TO 6:00 P.M.
Players should dress warmly. Leather palm gloves are recommended. Holding a metal lax stick in chilly weather is much like holding ice cubes. And, with days getting shorter and the sky being overcast we may need to end the clinic session 15 minutes early today so please plan your pick up accordingly.
MVSA Lacrosse 2015
As a follow on to our highly successful spring clinics, MVSA will offer free clinics during the autumn. During the spring we had 17 girls participate. As of October 1 there are 30 girls registered for the fall clinic. MVSA Girls Lacrosse never closes registration so, if someone is interested in learning to play and despite the program having begun, please register by clicking the button above.
- The MVSA program is open to all 9 through 14 year old Montgomery County residents. US Lacrosse measures age as of August 31 of the competition year. A 15 year old during the fall clinic may participate if she was 14 as of August 31, 2015.
- The basic premise of the program is to have FUN and to teach basic skills to inexperienced players and to enhance skills and game knowledget of experienced players.
- Clinics are held on Patsy Huson Field, 20300 Fulks Farm Road, Montgomery Village, Saturdays at 4:30 for ninety minutes.
- Clinics will begin on Saturday, September 12, continuing through Saturday, October 31.
- Stan Kryjak is US Lacrosse certified. He has 10 years coaching with MVSA youth program, club teams, and at Quince Orchard high school. His daughter currently plays for an NCAA division 2 college.
- Bob Schaefer is US Lacrosse certified. He has 13 years coaching MVSA youth program and a Gaithersburg high school winter team. He also has coached Good Counsel boys fall and winter teams. His son is a former NCAA division 1 college player and his daughter was the first team 4A North goalie in 2008.
- Coaches Bob is currently an assistant coach of the Gaithersburg High School JV team.
- MVSA will engage current high school players to assist with coaching the clinics. On September 12 MVSA engaged five former players; Rachel Johnson, Andrea Johnson, Erica Guthrie, Laney Selby, and Anne Selby. Thank you ladies. We are sure the youth players were encouraged knowing that at one time you were no more skillful than they currently are and now possess significant skills.
- There will be no MVSA registration fee but participants must become US Lacrosse members ($25). The link to US Lacrosse membership is found on the lacrosse registration page (see registration linnk above).
- US Lacrosse provides insurance to members at a much lower premium than found elsewhere. This is the reason why MVSA requires US Lax membership.
- US Lacrosse membership is a requirement for most summer clinics and tournaments. Membership is for a calendar year so your player will be covered not only for the fall clinic season but also for summer, winter and spring programs should she choose to participate.
- GIRLS stick (Women's sticks differ from men's. Ensure stick you purchase is labeled for girls) MVSA will provide loaner sticks to new players upon receipt of a $50 refundable deposit. Checks are preferred. Clinic participants are urged to bring these sticks home with them so they can refine stick skills between clinic dates.
- Eye protection (wire mesh or solid lens goggles) MVSA will provide loaner goggles to first time players to be used during scrimmages. The goggles may not be taken from the clinic location.
- Mouth / tooth guard.
- Girls may not wear helments (except goalies) or men's lacrosse gloves.
- Girls gloves are similar to golf or batting gloves but with padding on the back of the fingers. These provide minimal protection and, in the opinion of the MVSA coaches are not worth the cost. Although not recommended they are not discouraged.
- Girls may wear soft helmets but these are not recommended by MVSA. They do not provide concussion protection although concussion is very unlikely at the youth level.
- Men's sticks, pads, helmets, gloves, etc. are illegal for girls lacrosse. Girls may not use hand me downs from brothers, cousins, neighbors, etc.
- Coach Bob Schaefer - firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-518-9187
MVSA Alumnae News
MVSA is very proud of its record of sending players to many Montgomery County public and private high school lacrosse programs, Many of these players go on to play college lax at all three NCAA division levels. Through the years we have lost contact with many of the over 300 players who have participated with MVSA but are posting information about those with whom we have maintained contact.
Names of the players listed below reflect the team on which they completed the season. In some instances players begain the season on the high school JV teams but were promoted to varsity upon completion of the JV season.
- Jaya Agsalon
- Alex Carter
- Shannen de Leon (First Team All County)
- Stephanie Houk
- Morgan Price (First Team All County)
- Sophie Robinson
- Bethany Scott (Second Team All County)
- Anne Selby
- Laney Selby
- Porsche Vass
Gaithersburg JV Lax
- Alica Dowdy
- Erica Hubert
- Alex Moy
- Rachel Johnson
- Emma Owen
- Megan Remini
- Julia Brock
- Claire Chung
- Summer Jacobs
- Erin Lynch
- Megan Lynch
- Brooke Mandel
- Jamie Pincus
- Erica Guthrie
- Andrea Johnson
- Brigit Shields
Watkins Mill Varsity
- Julia Crews
- Fiona Franke
- Lilianna Ferrufino
- Charlotte Kimball
- Lilly Jean Schlosser (All County Honorable Mention)
- Virginia Schlosser
- Rachel Thompson
- Haley Wess
- Maddie White (All County Honorable Mention)
Watkins Mill JV
- Ashleigh Kozo
Good Counsel varsity
- Rose Prizzi (Brine HS All American will play at Campbell University in 2016)
Robert Morris University
- Alexis Rusnak (Watkins Mill '14)
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Tara Nicholas (Northwest '12)
Florida Southern College
- Allie Kryjak ((Quince Orchard '12)
James Madison University
- Angel Magno (Gaithersburg '12)
Gaithersburg High JV Coach
- Julia Navarro (Gaithersburg '09)
The past and the future (Spring 2014)
This photograph was taken following the Watkins Mill / Gaithersburg high school game on March 22. Pictured are former Wolverine and Trojan players who began their lacrosse with MVSA and some members of the current MVSA team.
Lainey Selby, Erica Hubert, Cari McCloskey, Alicia Dowdy, Lilly Schlosser, Sophie Robinson, Jillian Gardner, Alex Carter, Charlotte Kimball
Alexis Rusnak, Stephanie Houk, Helen Marsh, Bethany Scott, Kylee Sklar, Madison Fragnito, Sara-Jane Campbell, Haley Wess, Rachael Thompson, Lilianna Ferrrufino, Megan Remini...
Bella Sheldon, Arianna Tello, Natalie Fragnito, Fiona Franke, Erica Guthrie, Brigit Shields, Ali Rosenberg