MVSA Girls Lacrosse
MVSA Lacrosse 2015
Following our highly successful spring and fall clinics, MVSA intends to field two teams in the Metro Girls Lacrosse League during the spring of 2016. One of these teams will be comprised of 4th, 5th, and 6th graders and the other of 7th and 8th graders.
- The MVSA program is open to all 4rh through 8th graders living in Montgomery County. The Metro Girls Lacrosse League (MGLL) does not permit girls beyond 8th grade to participate in games. MVSA therefore can not permit 9th or 10th grade girls to participate regardless of experience level.
- The basic premise of the program is to have FUN and to teach basic skills to inexperienced players and to enhance skills and game knowledget of experienced players.
- Practices will be held at Patsy Huson Field, 20300 Fulks Farm Road, Montgomery Village, Saturdays at 4:30 and Wednesdays at 5:30 both for ninety minutes.
- While the MGLL schedule has not been compiled yet, we anticipate games will be played as follows: 4th, 5th and 6th grade girls will play at Forest Oak Middle School, 651 Saybrooke Oaks Blvd, Gaithersburg and 7th and 8th grade girls will play at Farquhar Middle School, 16915 Batchellors Forest Rd, Olney. Games at both venues will be scheduled to begin between noon and 5 pm Sunday afternoons.
- Stan Kryjak is US Lacrosse certified. He has 10 years coaching with MVSA youth program, club teams, and at Quince Orchard high school. His daughter currently plays for an NCAA division 2 college.
- Bob Schaefer is US Lacrosse certified. He has 13 years coaching MVSA youth program and a Gaithersburg high school winter team. He also has coached Good Counsel boys fall and winter teams. His son is a former NCAA division 1 college player and his daughter was the first team 4A North goalie in 2008.
- Coach Bob is currently an assistant JV coach at Gaithersburg high school.
- We anticipate former MVSA players currently in high school will assist coaching the 2016 teams as their schedules permit. During the fall clinics we were assisted by Rachel and Andrea Johnson, Erica Guthrie, and Laney Selby, and Anne Selby. We are certain the youth players will be encouraged knowing that at one time these high school players were no more skillful current MVSA players.
- The MVSA lacrosse registration fee is $140 which covers MGLL league fees, replacement of practice equipment, and uniforms.
- MVSA also requires that each player become a US Lacrosse members ($25). The link to US Lacrosse membership is found on the lacrosse registration page. Returning players must renew their membership if their registration occurred during the spring of 2015 or prior.
- US Lacrosse membership includes catastrophic injury insurance and basic insurance for much less that MVSA could provide through any insurer. This is the reason why MVSA requires US Lax membership.
- US Lacrosse membership is a requirement for most summer clinics and tournaments. Membership is for a calendar year so your player will be covered not only for the spring season but also for summer, winter and autumn programs in 2016 should she choose to participate.
- GIRLS stick (Women's sticks differ from men's. Ensure stick you purchase is labeled for girls) MVSA will provide loaner sticks to new players upon receipt of a $50 refundable deposit. Checks are preferred. Players are urged to bring these sticks home with them so they can refine stick skills between practice dates.
- Eye protection (wire mesh or solid lens goggles) MVSA will provide loaner goggles to first time players to be used during scrimmage and games. We only have 12 pair of goggles so they must be shared both at practice and during games. Therefore goggles may not be taken from practice or game locations to ensure availability for successive practices and games.
- Mouth / tooth guard may not be white or clear.
- Girls may not wear helments (except goalies) or men's lacrosse gloves.
- Girls lax gloves are similar to golf or batting gloves but with quilted padding on the back of the fingers. These provide minimal protection and, in the opinion of the MVSA coaches are not worth the cost. Although not recommended they are not discouraged.
- Girls may wear soft helmets but these are not recommended by MVSA. They do not provide concussion protection although concussion is very unlikely at the youth level. US Lacrosse is working on manufacturer requirements for helmets which would provide concussion protection.
- Men's sticks, pads, helmets, gloves, etc. are illegal for girls lacrosse. Girls may not use hand me downs from brothers, cousins, neighbors, etc.
- Coach Bob Schaefer - firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-518-9187
MVSA Alumnae News
MVSA is very proud of its record of sending players to many Montgomery County public and private high school lacrosse programs, Many of these players go on to play college lax at all three NCAA division levels. Through the years we have lost contact with many of the over 300 players who have participated with MVSA but are posting information about those with whom we have maintained contact.
Names of the players listed below reflect the team on which they completed the season. In some instances players begain the season on the high school JV teams but were promoted to varsity upon completion of the JV season. MVSA will update this section with 2016 teams when the information becomes available.
- Jaya Agsalon
- Alex Carter
- Shannen de Leon (First Team All County)
- Stephanie Houk
- Morgan Price (First Team All County)
- Sophie Robinson
- Bethany Scott (Second Team All County)
- Anne Selby
- Laney Selby
- Porsche Vass
Gaithersburg JV Lax
- Alica Dowdy
- Erica Hubert
- Alex Moy
- Rachel Johnson
- Emma Owen
- Megan Remini
- Julia Brock
- Claire Chung
- Summer Jacobs
- Erin Lynch
- Megan Lynch
- Brooke Mandel
- Jamie Pincus
- Erica Guthrie
- Andrea Johnson
- Brigit Shields
Watkins Mill Varsity
- Julia Crews
- Fiona Franke
- Lilianna Ferrufino
- Charlotte Kimball
- Lilly Jean Schlosser (All County Honorable Mention)
- Virginia Schlosser
- Rachel Thompson
- Haley Wess
- Maddie White (All County Honorable Mention)
Watkins Mill JV
- Ashleigh Kozo
Good Counsel varsity
- Rose Prizzi (Brine HS All American will play at Campbell University in 2016)
Robert Morris University
- Alexis Rusnak (Watkins Mill '14)
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Tara Nicholas (Northwest '12)
Florida Southern College
- Allie Kryjak ((Quince Orchard '12)
James Madison University
- Angel Magno (Gaithersburg '12)
Gaithersburg High JV Coach
- Julia Navarro (Gaithersburg '09)
The past and the future (Spring 2014)
This photograph was taken following the Watkins Mill / Gaithersburg high school game on March 22. Pictured are former Wolverine and Trojan players who began their lacrosse with MVSA and some members of the current MVSA team.
Lainey Selby, Erica Hubert, Cari McCloskey, Alicia Dowdy, Lilly Schlosser, Sophie Robinson, Jillian Gardner, Alex Carter, Charlotte Kimball
Alexis Rusnak, Stephanie Houk, Helen Marsh, Bethany Scott, Kylee Sklar, Madison Fragnito, Sara-Jane Campbell, Haley Wess, Rachael Thompson, Lilianna Ferrrufino, Megan Remini...
Bella Sheldon, Arianna Tello, Natalie Fragnito, Fiona Franke, Erica Guthrie, Brigit Shields, Ali Rosenberg